Although Google Glass is still not available to the public, the company’s next project is surely turning a lot of heads. Everyone wants a piece of these eyewear computers and everyone wants to be a part of something truly high-tech. However, small businesses that put a heavy emphasis on SEO for success will have to look at the new device in a different light. It might be fun and absolutely awesome, sure, but how will it affect SEO?
How Google Glass Works
For those who are unfamiliar, Google Glass is a device that was introduced by Google in April 2012. It is still only available to a few Google employees and select consumers, but it will someday be released to the public (no idea when that day might come).
The idea behind Google Glass is to give you an outlet that does everything your smartphone does except you don’t have to pull out your phone. With Google Glass, which looks just like glasses with a small computer on the side, information will show up in front of your eyes. A few features include:
- Pictures. You can take a picture by saying, “take a picture.” All you need to do is look at whatever it is you want to take a picture of and you’re good to go.
- Directions. You can get directions somewhere right in front of your eyes so you don’t have to keep looking down at your phone or looking around for that turn.
- Translation. Google Glass is great for travelers if you ever need a translation. Instead of having to find your phone in your big backpack or purse, just say what you want to say and the Google Glass will talk for you in the language you need.
- Texting. Text messages can pop in front of you for easier reading.
One notable thing to keep in mind about Google Glass is the idea that you aren’t going to be looking at a computer screen all day long. The messages only show up when you need them. It’s also good to know that Google Glass will not allow any advertisements, so no user has to worry about ads popping up all day long.
Google Glass SEO Considerations
When it comes to SEO, it’s interesting to think about how Google Glass will change the search game. Through voice commands, users will be able to search for whatever they wish (of course using the Google search engine). This means that SEO is still important. Two major things will change when using Google Glass as opposed to a desktop or smartphone:
- Local Search. This is going to be more important than ever because of the nature of the new device. If people are going to search for something on Google Glass, it’s surely going to be something location based (after all, you’re usually on the move). Google’s own Google+ local reviews will become more important and other location-specific marketing will help Google Glass determine what is around the searcher and what is the best possible choice.
- Long-Tail Search Queries. If you want to get found on Google Glass, trying to optimize for long-tail searches will be your best bet. The reason? People speak differently than they write. You’re more likely to find someone speaking full sentences than speaking in short keywords.
You can learn more about Google Glass by visiting the Google Glass start. Here you will be able to check out all of the features and watch a video about Google Glass and how it feels.
Source: Social Media Today
Author: Amanda DiSilvestro